Madrigals Welcomes Citrus Hills Choir Students

Feb. 4 Santiago’s Madrigals shared the theater stage with the Citrus Hills Intermediate School Choir. The theater was packed with friends and family waiting to see the performances.The event was broken up into two parts, one beginning at 6:30p.m. and another at 7:30 p.m. Each featured Santiago’s Madrigals, but the first performance was for Citrus Hills’ first and sixth periods, and the second for their second and third periods. The first half of the show began when Karen Garret, Santiago High School’s choir teacher, welcomed Karen Landrum, Citrus Hills choir teacher, to the stage.

Landrum’s first period mixed choir started off the show singing “Celebrate with Jubilant Song” by May Lynn Lightfoot, “The Journey”, and ending their performance with “Get on Board” a tradition Gospel song. They were followed by Landrum’s sixth period treble choir who sang “Come Follow Me” as well as other songs, and both groups received loud applauses for their performances.

The second half of the choir performance beginning at 7:30p.m. featured Landrum’s Intermediate Mixed (second period)and Intermediate Treble (third period) Choir who sang beautiful songs like “For the Beauty of the Earth” and “Dance oh Gentle Maiden”.

Bethie Van Duruten (11) of the Madrigals Choir said, “I think the Citrus Hills Choir was great and is very professional for being a Junior High choir. Mrs. Landrum always does a fantastic job of preparing the junior high students for high school choir.”

It was then time for Garret’s Madrigals Choir to take the stage. In black dresses and suits the Madrigals made their way from the back of the theater to the stage. They began their portion of the show with “Hark I Hear The Harps Eternal” by Alice Parker with soloist Van Duruten, then the traditional peace “The Turtle Dove” by Ralph Vaughn with soloists Jacob Miller and Blake Dickinson, finishing with the beautiful piece “Tree of the Lonely Soul” with Soloist Anthony Ou. The Madrigals earned a roaring applause from the audience with their final performance, which ended the night.

​  Abigail Anderson (11) of Madrigals said after the concert, “ I feel like the Madrigals definitely did good, especially since we hadn’t sang that set in a long time so it was good that we could still sing it harmoniously.”

​ “We did a good job. We are more comfortable with the songs and we are able to have more fun with them,” Kassie Jensen (12) also added.