Sochi Says Dasvidaniya

For the past three weeks, the 2014 Winter Olympics has established a temporary place in many people’s homes, and gathered much excitement across the globe.  But, like all good things, it has come to an end.

This year, the games were held in Sochi, a city located on the western end of Russia, close to the Black Sea.  Perhaps a more northern location would have been a more suitable choice, as there were constant issues with the weather.  It was not cold enough for the snow to properly form, causing a dilemma for those performing in skiing or snowboarding competitions.

The opening ceremony, held on February 7, presented the history of Russia, as well as all eighty-eight countries’ representatives, with the USA team leading in the number of athletes (230).

It does not seem, however, that having more athletes would result in bringing home more medals.  Russia topped the charts holding 33 medals, 13 of which were gold.  The United States stands in fourth place with only 9 gold medals and 28 medals total.

Perhaps one of the biggest disappointments for the U.S. was the performance given by two-time Olympic gold medalist, Shaun White.

Also known as “The Flying Tomato,” “The Egg,” “Future Boy,” and “The Animal,” White has been credited as one of the best snowboarders in the world, amazing people with his fearlessness on the slopes and dedication to the sport.  This year, however, White did not fulfill the nation’s expectations of setting a record in winning three consecutive gold medals for the same competition.  In fact, he didn’t receive a single medal, much to the public’s dismay.

Despite the snowboarding tragedy, the U.S. was still able to reign supreme in several other sports, with one of the most notable of these being figure skating.

In the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, Canadian figure skaters Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir placed first in the ice dance competition.  This year, American skaters Meryl Davis and Charlie White were able to beat the Canadians and bring home a gold medal.  Eighteen-year-old, Gracie Gold also contributed to the U.S. figure skating winnings, receiving a bronze medal in the team competition.

The closing ceremony officially marked the end of the 2014 Winter Olympics on Sunday, February 23.  During the ceremony, the Olympic flag was presented to the mayor of Pyeongchang, South Korea, where the 2018 Winter Olympics will be held.