Santiago Hosts Open House

Santiago High School hosted its Open House for the 2013-14 school year Wednesday, March, 12 showcasing various new programs as well as providing info for the Honors program, NCAA, and the PTSA.  Exploring a new avenue of parent involvement in terms of educating them on classroom affairs, this Open House featured presentations from specific departments aimed to increase parent interest in their child’s education.

The PTSA met and discussed their coordination of future school funds and involvement opportunities from 5:30 to 6. In addition, the Honors and NCAA info meetings occurred simultaneously at 5:00 and 5:30 in rooms F107, F101, and D106.

Following these events were presentations by each Santiago department from 6-7, including an Odysseyware Parent Presentation by Mr. Ibbetson in D106, the Science departments broadcasting scientific demonstrations in P104, the Math department showcasing mathematical computations in D202, 204, and 213, Art, Photography, and Ceramics in the P building quad, a UNITY parents meeting in H105, an Architecture and New Technology demonstrations in D and E 107.

In addition, you were able to meet your specific teachers from 6-7 as well, with PE teachers being in the Upper Gym, English teachers in the Library, Foreign Language teachers in C211 and C212, Social Studies, and Business teachers in F106. In terms of performances celebrating Performing Arts week, choir performed in the quad at 6:15, band at 6:30, and Drama at 6:45. Occurring at the same time were poetry readings headed by Ms. Burris in F213 from 6 to 6:30.

Attempting to shift the focus of Open House to getting parents involved and interested in their child’s education, Santiago Administration’s new take on Open House has opened doors allowing parents to become more involved in public schooling.