EPT Testing for Seniors

EPT+Testing+for+Seniors+

Tuesday, March 18, and Wednesday, March 19, Santiago High School Seniors will be taking the English Placement Test (EPT).

The EPT determines whether or not students are college-level ready for English and writing courses.  The test is required for students planning to go to any Cal State University (CSU). Failure to pass results in the student being placed in Remedial English class where they do not receive college credits.

Under normal circumstances, the EPT must be taken at a Cal State University campus on a Saturday for an $18 fee, however, Santiago High School is providing the test for “free” during school hours.

Seniors with last names from A-L will be taking the test on March 18 from 7:40 a.m. – 11:32 p.m.  Following the test will be lunch and odd period classes.  March 19, seniors with last names A-L will receive late arrival at 12:07 pm followed by even period classes.

Seniors with last names from M-Z will have late arrival on March 18 at 12:07 p.m. followed by odd period classes.  They will take the EPT on March 19 from 7:40 a.m. – 11:32 p.m. followed by lunch and even period classes.

Juniors will receive late arrival at 12:07 p.m. on both testing days with odd period classes on Tuesday and even period classes on Wednesday.

Sophomores will be taking the mathematics portion of the CAHSEE on March 18 and the English portion of the CAHSEE on March 19, both followed by regular block classes.

Freshman will take a practice CAHSEE on March 18 and will watch a performance by the band “Young Americans” in the gymnasium on March 19; both will be followed by regular block classes.

In addition, seniors who did not fill out the opt-out form have agreed to allow their test scores to be used in a study to determine the effectiveness of the Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC), which serves as one of the two English class options for seniors.  AP Literature and Compostion will serve as a control group to find if ERWC prepares students for college level writing.

“I think most students will man up and take part in this valid survey. I think this could be a really good thing,” said AP Literature and Compositon teacher John Brasington.

The AP Literature and Compostion teachers, John and Melissa Brasington, encourage their students to take the test as an opportunity to hone their critical analysis and writing skills.

“I do believe it will be a benefit to a student’s future. Besides the fact that a huge portion of each graduating class from Santiago will attend a CSU, the placement exam can help a student to know what to study for such tests at any school”, explained AP Literature and Compostion teacher Melissa Brasington.

The EPT will be a positive addition to the senior regimen and will greatly improve their preparation for college.