You Thought You Knew CFP 2.0

College Football 2.0 is unraveling just the way you thought it would. Yeah, not so much. Unpredictable, dramatic, shocking, and special [teams] are just a few ways to describe the season thus far. The committee has revealed their first weekly rankings of the season. There have been wild late game finishes, as well as blow outs no one was expecting.

Ohio St., even after sluggish and unconvincing performances throughout the beginning of the season, are still in the top 4. The Buckeyes are getting better every week. They played like the team everyone expected at Rutgers. On the other hand, Michigan State sits at an 8-1 season so far thanks to an impressive win against Oregon, and an Auburn-like finish at Ann Arbor. The dubbed “Game of the Century” awaits the Spartans and Buckeyes on November 21, which will most likely decide the East division and perhaps the B1G itself. As for the West division, it seems all set because Iowa stands alone at 8-0 and do not have to deal with Michigan, Michigan St., and Ohio St. until a possible Big Ten Championship matchup. Michigan still has Ohio St. left on the schedule, and could make its own case for being in the playoff as a two-loss team because they have the best two losses in the country with Utah and Michigan St. Michigan will be hoping that the Spartans lose to the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions in order to face Iowa in the championship game and beef up their résumé for the committee.

The Pac-12 has been an absolute mess to say the least. As of now, this could be the one Power 5 conference that is left out of the playoff, should Stanford slip up. The favorites, Oregon and USC, have been underwhelming, and Utah has emerged as the team to beat in the conference. Utah started the season off with a win at The Big House, which looks more impressive every week. The Utes made a statement at Autzen Stadium when they handed the Ducks a 62-20 thrashing, owning them in all three phases of the game. UCLA started off the season as a team that could make the playoff, with excellent play from their true freshman QB Josh Rosen and power running from Paul Perkins. They suffered back-to-back losses to ASU and Stanford, and have been bit with the injury bug, most noticeably to Myles Jack, who has since announced he will enter the 2016 NFL Draft. The Bruins still control the South division, with their last two games at Utah and USC. Oregon has finally got the offense back in rhythm, however, a little too late. The loss to Wazzu killed their playoff hopes. The Duck now have a healthy Vernon Adams, Devon Allen, and their best receiver in Darren Carrington. They have also had an emergence in freshmen all-purpose back Taj Griffin. Meanwhile in the North division, Stanford stands as the #7 team in the country at 8-1. After a loss to Northwestern in the beginning of the season, the Cardinal have turned it around. Christian McCaffrey has seemingly revived the team, as he’s slowly sneaking up into the top 5 candidates for the Heisman, and on pace to break Barry Sanders’ single-season all purpose yards record. Utah still controls their own destiny and could make some noise for the committee by winning out.

The Big XII has been what was expected so far. Air raid offenses, high scoring, Baylor and TCU unbeaten. Corey Coleman has enlisted himself as a Heisman candidate, as he is on pace to break the reception TD record. However, Baylor has lost QB Seth Russell for the season and have to rely on an inexperienced freshman in Jarrett Stidham. He had a good showing against K-State, but I can’t see him leading this team into the playoff. The Sooners had a blunder against Texas, which could cost them late in the season, as they have TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma St. left on the schedule. Trevone Boykin is being…well, Trevone Boykin. He has played just the way we all thought he would… However, TCU has likely cost their playoff hopes as Oklahoma St now plays itself into title contention.

Do not argue this. Clemson, at #1, is the best team with the best quarterback in the country. Deshaun Watson is fully healed from his torn ACL and now can be a threat inside or out of the pocket. He can pick apart a defense, and he’s done it without his big target Mike Williams. The Tigers lost their whole front seven, but have filled them in with ease. They have made a statement against FSU, which will he their last ranked opponent until the ACC Championship game, which as of now would be the Tar Heels.

The SEC hasn’t been as much of a mess as everyone thought it would be. Arkansas has had a disappointing year, and the Aggies haven’t had a statement and finally started true freshman QB Kyler Murray, who should’ve been the starter from the beginning. Ole Miss was impressive early on, upsetting Alabama in a thriller, but have been quiet since then. Laquon Treadwell has made an astonishing comeback and seems better than ever, looking like a potential 1st round draft pick in 2016. Robert Nkemdiche has played like an All-American, and has made his case to go No. 1 overall in the draft. Although, with a loss to Arkansas, their playoff hopes are all but done. LSU, who was #2 in the country, were absolutely shut down by Alabama and the best front seven in the country. Georgia was picked to win the SEC East, but it has been downhill ever side Nick Chubb suffered a career-threatening injury. Auburn was picked by some to win the SEC, but have been the most disappointing team in the country.

Things to look for:
Memphis and Paxton Lynch. Memphis has to travel to Houston AND Temple in back-to-back weeks. Houston is the top dog for the Group of 5. The bid for a Group of 5 bowl game will literally be last man standing.

LSU has one of, if not the hardest schedule remaining. After losing this year’s “Game of the Century,” LSU has to hope Alabama slips up against Auburn or Mississippi State. The Tigers then have to play Ole Miss on the road and finish off the season against the Aggies.

Michigan St. @ Ohio St.
You don’t even need an explanation for this one. The winner most likely makes the Big Ten Championship game and the playoff.

Ohio St. @ Michigan
You think Michigan is eliminated from the playoff? Not so fast. They can still win out, hope that the Nittany Lions and Buckeyes defeat Michigan St., then make a statement against Iowa to make the playoff as a two-loss team.

TCU and their final two regular season games. At Oklahoma, then return home to face Baylor. The Bears will most likely be undefeated for this matchup, so…safe to say the winner makes the playoff, if Oklahoma St. loses twice.

Heisman race is heating up. As of now, Fournette has lost it and might even be Derrick Henry’s to lose. The three finalists I would choose would be: Derrick Henry, Corey Coleman, and Christian McCaffrey, with Fournette being the first one out at 4th. Derrick Henry is still a dark horse for this award and finally received the credit he deserves after bullying LSU’s defense, creating a Heisman moment for himself.