SAT Subject Tests: Elite Schools Reconsider

Kayli Jester, Editor in Chief

According to a recent report by The Boston Globe, some of the country’s more selective colleges are dropping the SAT Subject Test or SAT II requirement for new applicants. Though most elite universities have long required at least two SAT Subject Test scores from all undergraduate applications, Amherst College, Dartmouth College, Williams College, Columbia University, Duke University, and Vassar College have abandoned the tradition. Note that these schools are merely dropping the requirements for SAT Subject tests; a regular SAT, otherwise known as the SAT Reasoning Test, or ACT is still required for all United States undergraduate applicants at the schools listed above.

So why are these highly regarded academic institutions forsaking the Subject Test requirement? The Globe reports that many New England colleges claim that “…the specialized exams lend little insight into students’ readiness and can work against low-income and minority students.”

This new trend in college requirements has left some high school seniors reconsidering their options for higher education. Santiago senior Madison Simmons (12) says that the new policies make her more likely to apply to exclusive schools.

Jasmine Rubio (12) agrees. “I think it would give me a little more confidence” she remarks.

Will these changes truly lead to an increase in application numbers at elitist schools? Perhaps more importantly, will other Ivy Leagues fall in line with this new trend? Harvard has already joined the bandwagon, advertising the following statement on their Admissions site: “While we normally require two SAT Subject Tests, you may apply without them if the cost of the tests represents a financial hardship or if you prefer to have your application considered without them.” University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale have also dropped the requirement, though all three still strongly recommend two Subject Tests scores be submitted anyways. Brown still requires two Subject Tests for those opting to submit SAT scores instead of an ACT, while Cornell only requires these tests for certain areas of study.

Though the effects on the upcoming applicant pools for the Fall of 2017 have yet to be revealed, Austin Cornejo (12) offers his opinion on the possible outcome of these modifications.

“I…think that taking away the requirement is going to create an influx of students that would never survive at a hard college/university”, notes Cornejo. “It basically takes away competition, which is one of the cornerstones of our way of life.”