Farewell to KG

Christian Moore, Sports Editor

Just over the week, pro basketball player Kevin Garnett announced his retirement from the NBA. Kevin played 21 seasons in the NBA, and was in the top 5 category.  This means that he has been in the league for a long time. Kevin graduated from Mauldin High School in Chicago  He then went straight to the pros. KG started his pro basketball career in 1995 . He was drafted in the first round with the 5th pick overall from Minnesota Timberwolves. He played the position of power forward and center.

In his third year, Kevin averaged 18.5 points per game, along with 10 rebounds and also 2 blocks. Towards the middle of his career, KG started averaging points from the mid 20’s and increased is rebounding from 10-12 a game.That’s very good Kg made the All-Star team for the first time in 1997 and played on the team from 1997-2013 making him a 15 time All-Star player. In the 2003 All-Star game, he won MVP (most valuable player), which means he performed the best that night. In 2004, he won the league’s most valuable player, meaning he had the best regular season in the NBA. After Minnesota in 2007-2013, he went to play for the Boston Celtics. He played along star players like Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins.

In 2008, KG and his team won the NBA Championship against the great Kobe Bryant and Los Angeles Lakers. This was KG’s first and only championship in his career. KG was crazy with excitement about that win. In fact, shortly after the win he screamed, “Anything is possible”! Since then that has been his famous phrase. After Boston he played for the Brooklyn Nets from 2013-2015. By then Kevin was aging, in basketball age terms, and was losing his scoring touch, his minutes on the hardwood were down and he sustained more injuries in the process.

After Brooklyn, he went back to the team that drafted him in the beginning; the Timberwolves, he was 40 years old. Although he was older, he was still a leader and gave advice to the younger and up incoming players. But now he announced his retirement from the sport he loved.

Garnett will go down has the all-time leading scorer on the Minnesota Timberwolves. He was one of the most fierce and mentally tough players – awell-respected warrior. He will be honored and missed playing on the “wood”.