Teachers On Office Hours

Teachers On Office Hours

Adrian Garcia, A&E Editor

Office Hours is a newly implemented tutoring style system in Santiago High school. Its set up so that student have the opportunity to get extra help in certain classes for 30 minutes each Thursday and Friday. However, the view of its usefulness varies among teachers. When questioned, a teacher who shall remain nameless simply stated that in theory it’s a valuable asset but in practice is littered with holes. To quote exactly “I feel as though it’s taking time from my class periods and is a little bit daunting in that aspect, so that puts pressure on me to either cut something, or move something”, this statement sheds light on a different, but just as valued opinion.  To elaborate further, the anonymous teacher stated that it could even be abused by students and teachers alike. The teacher continued to elaborate on the topic of students who don’t necessarily need Office Hours. He sayed that those who don’t need it are just losing valuable class time, and are could even be missing out on an important class. He also mentioned that it also comes down to the teacher in a way – because in essence, a student who doesn’t necessarily like a certain teacher won’t as willing to go to their Office Hours session.

This view, however, is not shared amongst all teachers. When questioned, this teacher who shall also remain nameless, responded with nothing but enthusiastic remarks regarding Office Hours. To quote exactly, they felt that “Its actually just fine because my kids are coming in to do makeup work so its perfect”. The teacher questioned showed nothing but palpable enthusiasm and hope for the future and reputation of Office Hours. Another teacher when questioned responded with absolute positivity. They said that they feel that they can now tend to the students who are struggling without hindering those who are doing well if they’re not excelling in their class.

It may still be too early to tell whether Office Hours is a success or not. As time passes more opinions will form, and changes might even appear to fix some of it’s problems. Hopefully, Office Hours will find the perfect balance to make itself the perfect experience for students and teachers alike.