90’s Nostalgia: The Cartoons We Grew Up With

Lena Mousa, Reporter

In the ever expanding world of cartoon television shows, it’s clear that they’ve come a long way. Body shapes, lingo, plot, all are evolving. However, it might be true that this generation of high school students may be the last group of kids who remember most of the famous cartoons that set us up for today. You know what I’m talking about: 90’s cartoons.

Okay, granted many of us were born in the very early 2000’s, I’ll still take that. Having been born in 99 myself, I only ever remembered being entertained by cartoons played during the 90’s era, so it seems that those cartoons remained relevant up until 2010.

The growth of cartoons in the 90’s was huge! It was a big impact on pop culture that affected even the adults. It was a rise in media that created an up-rise and expanded the trendsetting atmosphere for the 2000’s.

There were plenty of channels to get your morning dose of cartoons, but I think the most significant ones were Disney, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network. I absolutely loved Teen Titans and Ben 10, while my friends preferred Hey Arnold and Rugrats. I’ll make a quick exception for Disney, because come on, who didn’t grow up watching Hannah Montana or The Suite Life of Zack and Cody? Those were classics (and if I could, I’d show my future kids).

Cartoon Network seemed like the powerhouse of all cartoons, filled with so many options like Chowder, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Jack, The PowerPuff Girls, Dexter’s Laboratory, and Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends to name a few. I wish I could go on, but that would take a while.

And then there was Nickelodeon. I can’t exclude good ol’ Nick. Their shows were probably some of my favorites too: Danny Phantom, Jimmy Neutron, the Fairly Odd Parents, My Life as a Teenage Robot, and Avatar: The Last Airbender (a really amazing show to this today!)

To be fairly honest, I don’t know what my childhood would’ve been like if I didn’t grow up watching these classic shows. For old time’s sake, why don’t you go out and watch one of them again? See how you interpret them now and appreciate how much you’ve grown over the years.