2017 NBA All Star weekend preview

Christian Moore, Sports Editor

The NBA all-star weekend is nearly upon us.  All the leagues stars from the west and east are coming to put on a show in New Orleans.

The rising stars skill game-Its where the best rookies in the league compete against the players who have only been in the league for no more than 2 years.  Think of it as freshmen vs sophomores.  Without a doubt, 76ers rookie center Joel Embiid is the favorite to win MVP if the rookies win.And for the sophomores, T’wolves star center/forward Karl Anthony Towns is having an outstanding season.  Most people would say that Towns is probably one 15 best players in the league right now.Embiid vs Towns is going to be one heck of a match-up.

Taco Bell skills challenge the skills challenge is a unique obstacle course that test your speed and accuracy and also shooting ability.Celtics star point Isaiah Thomas is the clear favorite to win.  He was runner-up the previous year and I think he’s determined to win. He’s second in the league in scoring with 29 points a game.  But at the same time, its hard Wizards point Guard John Wall out of the picture because he is also having one of the best seasons in his career so far.  Some people believe Suns guard Devon Booker could surprise all of us and win.But if you asked me I think it’s a toss-up between Isaiah and Wall.

JBL 3 point contest – Its pretty simple – it’s a contest that determines the best 3pt shooter.  Warriors guard Klay Thompson is back for another run after winning the previous year.  So he has a chance to go back to back.  There are a handful of great shooters in this contest.  Shooters like Cavs guard Kyrie Irving, Rockets guard Eric Gordan, and even Trailblazers guard CJ MCCollum just to name a few.  But I think most people would still put their money on Klay Thompson.

Verizon Slam Dunk contest – The main event of the evening.Former runner-up player Aaron Gordan from the magic is back for revenge after losing to Zach Lavine.  The only thing is Zach isn’t competing.  So now he has to worry about his closest competition.  Clippers center Deandre Jordan should be a good 1 v 1 battle if it comes down to that.

Then finally on Sunday it’s the big game.The leagues best players from the west go against the best in the east.  Warriors guard Stephen Curry goes against Cavs guard Kyrie Irving, Raptors guard Demar Derozan goes against other Rockets guard James Harden.  But the big story is going to be how Russell Westbrook is going to play alongside Kevin Durant.

The all-star break starts on Friday February 17-19.