Make A Change This Year

Alina Traverso, Staff Writer

We have all had the “talk” with our parents, “You need to bring your grades up!” “You need to focus more!” “School work comes first!” But if not, then you are already ahead of the game. For the people that understand what I am talking about, this is for you. Not everyone is a mathematician, a scientist, or an artist. They are still trying to find what makes them who they are. High school is not all butterflies and rainbows, but we can all do something to remember this year. Whether you are a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior this school year should be a year you should remember for the rest of your life.

High school can be intimidating, especially at a big school like Santiago High. There are a lot of people, maybe too many people – but that should make you excited rather than feeling down on yourself. Making friends is important, it is not easy, but it is important for all of us to have someone that you can lean on and be able to express yourself freely. There is someone here for you so do not give up on talking to others because someone out there will understand what you are going through and support you through the ups and downs. Join clubs, sit next to the kid at lunch that is sitting alone, find your calling, and most importantly talk to your teachers! Teachers went through the same things we are going through and they do understand and will listen. Teachers are here to help, guide, and teach us – they are not your parents and will be more lenient and understanding.

If you are messing around, skipping classes, and falling under the influence of peer pressure because of friends – stop and think. It may make you feel good, you may have the adrenaline rush in doing something that you are not supposed to, or maybe you are afraid to be different. Whatever the case may be, you have a different path than your friends. Even if you are all in the same situation, do the same things, you will each grow up and after high school, you will lead a different path with different lifestyles. You might not see it now, but you will not get through life without a consequence for every decision you make whether it be good or bad. You are not your friends, and your friends do not want to see you fail. Friends want to see you succeed, get good grades, and be able to walk down with you to graduate. Friends will be there for the worst and the best of times, but no matter what they will cheer you on. Those are the types of friends we need, and if you are succumbing to the pressures of others, it is not worth it and you are better than that.

Friends, of course, will want you to distract you, but should also know when to encourage you towards important goals. They will know when to drag you back into reality when you have had your head stuck in the clouds and they will know when to help you have fun or just be there when you need someone. After high school, you might not even have the same friends as you do today. People come and go, but everyone teaches you something to prepare you in life and you will be able to determine who is true and who is not.

You may be thinking to yourself – how can this make me successful? Guidance and love from others is important for everyone. Children, teenagers, and even adults all need that support from another person because life is hard on your own. Life will send you to your friends for comfort during rough times and always having someone there for you will make you a better person and not so afraid to handle things on your own when the time inevitably comes. Friends know when to be a listener, a teacher, a therapist, and most importantly someone you can rely on. Many adults say that high school should be the highlight of your teenage life, and we are all trying to find ourselves and understand who we are deep down. That is why we need someone through this difficult journey; it is not easy but it is worth it.

Make a change this year and talk to more people and even teachers. Get to know a bit about everyone. Do not think that “You will not have anybody there if you let these friends go” or “What if people do not like me?” If you do not put yourself out there, you will never know who is waiting for you somewhere in the world, and who could help you meet your full potential.