Maddy Rosas- A Presidential Status Best Buddy

Hanna Rauls, Staff Writer and Editor

Maddy Rosas (12), is currently a senior at Santiago High School who is very involved on campus. She is involved in: Best Buddies, Future Doctors of America, and Muslim Student Alliance. When asked why she is involved in the Best Buddies program that focusses on establishing one-on-one friendships, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), she said, “My brother has a developmental disability, so growing up working with people that have intellectual or developmental disability has grown to be a part of who I am. In middle school, I TAed for the special needs classes on campuses and was involved in a program called PALS where we participated in PE activities with the special needs class. When I got to high school and learned about the best buddies mission it was instantly a perfect fit and I was thrilled to get involved.” Miss Rosas said she feels like this type of program is important for Santiago to have because “Often times in our society people that have an intellectual or developmental disability are separated from society. For example, in schools the special needs class is separate from the regular education classes. Best Buddies is so important because it builds bridges between the regular education classes, and the special education classes.” Rosas is the hard working and dedicated president and leader at our school of this fantastic global volunteer movement. She has traveled to different conferences that further her knowledge on the club and how to control possible situations that may arise. She has dedicated time and money to her passion. She has a love for this club that has the ability to change lives that runs deep. She’s not doing it just to be able to put it on her college applications. Rosas has a never-ending love to help people that require special education. She doesn’t see them as outcasts, but as people who are special and necessary to society and need to be accepted and loved just as everyone does. Maddy goes to great lengths for the Best Buddies club and supports every individual person who is a part of it. You can catch her making a change not only within our large population here at Santiago, but globally as she continues to pursue her love to build bridges.