Shark Story: Alexander Geiger (11)

Zion Igwe, Staff Writer

Introducing the prodigious scholar, Alexander Geiger, whom is currently a varsity junior water-polo player at Santiago High School. Alex has been playing this wondrous sport for 3 years and has claimed to enjoyed every last second of it, ranging from practicing to in-game play time. Recently, I had the privilege of interviewing him to further expatiate on my current knowledge of the sport and the prerequisites that must be met to just practice with some of the members on the team. I asked him a plethora of open-ended questions in which he provided answers that deemed themselves conducive to my research.

What sparked up your interest to participate in such a sport?

“Colleges offer pretty hefty scholarships for participating in sports like these since it requires a lot of mental and physical strength as well as skill and also it helps my application look nice. I was also exploring through different sports to see what fit me most and was most interesting which ended up being water polo due to the fact that it offered the most fun.”

What makes this sport so fun?

“It’s like a crazy mix of wrestling and soccer all in the water. Plus people get into fights all the time so that’s fun.”

After these questions I proceeded to ask him about the CIF game just to get a glimpse of how stressful games can be. Prime examples of these questions include the following:

How hectic was yesterday’s game?

“It was wild, we were up by four all throughout the game and then the other team barely pushed through and beat us by one point.”

How’d this loss make you feel?

“At first I was kind of disappointed that we didn’t make it to the finals but then I was inspired to work even harder for the next season to ensure that we make it.”

What was the most exciting part of the game?

“So the guy on the other team got fouled within the 5m box (goalie’s box in soccer) which meant that he couldn’t just throw the ball into the our goal as he would normally be able to. The rule for that is that a person can only score if it bounces off something first and then goes into the goal so the guy threw the ball at my teammate’s head and the ball went soaring over everyone and into the goal. Best thing ever.”

Blatantly, water-polo can not only be unpredictable, but it can also be an exciting sport to play or even witness. This sport is not only a blend of some of the most physically demanding sports, but it is also a good way to blow off some steam while having a good time.