Baseball Season is Here!

With the football season ending, baseball is underway with experienced, well-trained players representing Santiago. Still coached by Coach Detrinidad, hoping to achieve their goals and ambitions with a successful season, I had the privilege to interview Coach Detrinidad and a few players from JV and varsity to preview this season.  

Baseball Instagram

Starting with Coach Detrinidad, I asked: 

How long have you been coaching for Santiago?

“This is my 24th year here at Santiago.” 

What’s your previous experience in coaching? 

“Before I got here, I was the head coach at Rancho Verde High School in Moreno Valley for four years.”  

What are your goals for the team this season? 

“Our goals are to stay as competitive as we have been. For the last two years, we have succeeded in making quarter-finals, and we hope to continue with that and eventually go further into the playoffs.” 

What are your biggest challenges in coaching? 

“Challenge-wise, it’s just always trying to put the puzzle together. You got moving parts all the time, and you’re trying to put the pieces together so that the team will flow in the right direction.”  

Next, I interviewed a few of Santiagos baseball players to better understand some of our top athletes’ goals, the future they hope to pursue, and an overview of getting to know our school’s players. Many players wanted to be anonymous, and after hearing their responses, I noticed that all players had similar goals. After asking their baseball-related goals, one said, “Go to college and get a baseball scholarship.”

With a similar goal, another said, “My goal right now is to make it to college.” 

Ethan Morton (11) said, “This year, my goal is to win CIF, and for myself, my goal is to play division one in college.”

Another stated, “Next year I will be attending CBU so I’m hoping to win a starting spot and take that as far as I can.”

Another shared a similar goal, saying, “I’m going to be playing in college, but hopefully, after that, I want to be able to go pro.”  

It’s just always trying to put the puzzle together. You got moving parts all the time and you’re trying to put the pieces together so that the team will flow in the right direction.

— Coach D

The next question was getting to know the players a little more by asking them how long they have played baseball and what they consider their best achievement. 

Tyler Blade (12) said, “I have played baseball since I was four, and my greatest achievement was committing to a four-year college to play baseball.” 

Followed by Ethan Morton, who said, “I have been playing baseball since I was four, so 13 years. My best achievement is that I will be on varsity this year and was also on varsity as a sophomore last year.”

Another stated, “I have been playing baseball since I was three, but I’m seventeen now, so about fourteen years. My best achievements would be going to the CIF playoffs two years in a row and being named an all-state player.” 

I followed up by asking the players what they liked most about playing baseball for Santiago. 

Tyler Blade said, “I like the relationships I’ve built and the friends I have made.” 

Ethan Morton responded with, “I just like the small intricate of the game, people who don’t play don’t understand that but it’s complex once you know the game.”

Another said, “The thing I like most about playing for Santiago is our team coach and how close all the teammates are to each other.” 

4 players signed their NLI

While baseball season has just begun, these guys have an objective and will stop at nothing to achieve it. We wish our Santiago boy’s baseball team a successful season and the best of luck!