10 Movies Coming Out This Year That You Have To Look Out For.

Idinma Ifeanyichukwu, Staff Writer

With the new year now in place and Covid still amidst it’s important to turn to the things that can bring joy and entertainment. For some, it might be a book or a sport but for me, it is specifically movies. Turning on a good movie can take away any stress and sadness even if just for a few minutes. Today I will be showing you my top ten picks for this year.

Number 10. would be Godzilla vs Kong( MAY 21) A crossover sequel to “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” and “Kong: Skull Island” will see the legendary monsters face off in an epic war for the ages, set to debut on both HBO Max and in theaters, while humanity hopes to wipe out both of them to take back the world. I’m excited to see this crossover because I’m more of a Kong fan than Godzilla personally, so it’ll be fascinating to see them function together in a way because people hope to eliminate them

Number 9 would be Fast and Furious 9 (May 28 )
Once again, this ninth installment of the iconic action franchise follows Dominic Toretto, played by Vin Diesel, whose crew and family members join forces to fight against one of the most skilled killers and high-performance drivers in the world, John Cena’s estranged brother, Jakob. The new movie also sees the return of Han Lue, a long-dead character thought to be a crowd favorite. Since Paul Walker died in the first film, I have been watching with quick and furious dedicated fans like myself. Maybe for Dwayne maybe for Vin or maybe just because it lifts the adrenaline, I am excited to see this movie

Number 8 would be Minions; The rise of Gru ( July 2)
The next installment of the Minions franchise by director Kyle Balda will trace the villainous roots of its lovable antihero Gru. Taraji P. Henson, Russell Brand, Julie Andrews, Michelle Yeoh, and Steve Carell are all involved in the voice cast. I love the children’s comedy minions. It’s been a fascinating franchise to watch. I liked the character Gru and getting an inner conversation on why he’s the way he is, is going to make the film successful

Number 7 would for sure be Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16)
In this long-awaited sequel to the 1996 classic, which debuts on HBO Max and in theaters, NBA superstar LeBron James teams up with Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Looney Tunes gang. Sonequa Martin-Green, Don Cheadle, and NBA players such as Klay Thompson, Chris Paul, and more are included in the family comedy, directed by Malcolm D. Lee. It’ll be incredibly enjoyable to watch this film, which took several years to produce. As a fan of the original Space Jam and LeBron James, All I hope is that the time was spent well.

Number 6 would undyingly be Suicide Squad(August 6)
The “Suicide Squad” standalone sequel, directed by James Gunn and premiered on both HBO Max and in theaters, explores the comic book origins of Harley Quinn and her supervillain gang, rather than continuing the 2016 film plot. Viola Davis, Margot Robbie, Taika Waititi, Sylvester Stallone, Idris Elba, Jai Courtney, and Pete Davidson appear in the hero ensemble. My interest in the character Harley Quinn and the joker was peaked by the first suicide squad film. After watching the second film Harley Quinn; birds of prey, you learn about other characters in the dc franchise. I’m excited to see new actors like Pete Davidson and Idris Elba

Number 5 to my amazement would be West Side Story(Dec 20th)
This long-awaited adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical stars Ansel Elgort and newcomer Rachel Zegler, directed by Steven Spielberg, as star-crossed lovers Tony and Maria. Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner’s script is intended to closely mirror that of the original theater production in contrast to the 1961 film adaptation. Rita Moreno, who played the role of Anita in the 1961 film, is also going to play a supporting role. I’ve never watched the West side story, I’ve admitted, but as someone who is a fan of musicals and has heard of this romance in many movies and shows, I’m excited to finally watch it

Number 4 for my love Timmy would be ( The French Dispatch) ( summer)
A cast of Timothée Chalamet, Tilda Swinton, Saoirse Ronan, Bill Murray, Jeffrey Wright, Frances McDormand, Elisabeth Moss, Willem Dafoe, Christoph Waltz and many more are present in Wes Anderson’s new film. The film is characterized as a “love letter to journalists” at the office of an American magazine in a fictitious French city and follows three separate narratives. During this pandemic, Timothee Chalamet has become more popular. He’s starring in a French movie that I am excited to see as a French student also knowing that he has French roots leads me to believe that I will enjoy this movie so much more

Number 3 would be for the female marvel fans Black Widow( MAY 7)
Finally, Scarlett Johansson has a standalone Black Widow film. After 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War,” the long-awaited Marvel film, also starring David Harbour, Florence Pugh, and O-T Fagbenle is planned. Natasha Romanoff will be on the run and forced to face her past as a spy, long before she becomes an Avenger. For fans like me who have seen the black widow die in the Avengers Endgame, we thought this was it! Then we were graced with the rumor that one of them was coming back. While we were all hoping that it would be Robert Downey junior who portrayed the character iron man, we all knew that his contract was over, so that only left Captain America and the Black Widow. Captain has had many independent movies but in the 8 years of serving Disney black widow, has never had one independent movie like all the other Marvel characters so I was ecstatic to hear we were finally getting a movie for h

Number 2 for lovers of Timmy and Zendaya Dune( Oct.1)
The long-awaited Denis Villeneuve reboot of the sci-fi classic stars Timothée Chalamet, premiering on both HBO Max and in theaters, as a young duke named Paul Atreides leading a battle to control the desert planet Arrakis. I am a massive supporter of Timmy, as you already know, but there is one person whose acting transpires above others to me and that is Zendaya. I’m so excited to see this film, particularly since they were rumored to be of romantic interest

Honorable mentions
A quiet place ( April 23), CandyMan(august 27), Mobius (March 19), and Ghostbusters; After Life (July 11)

Finally, Something we’ve all looked forward to Spiderman3 (Dec 17th)
The third “Spider-Man” film led by Tom Holland is already making fans excited at the seemingly endless rumors about returning villains from past movies. Alfred Molina’s Doctor Octopus from “Spider-Man 2” starring Tobey Maguire and Jamie Foxx’s Electro from Andrew Garfield’s “Amazing Spider-Man 2” will reprise their roles, in what is sure to be an ambitious, universe-grossing superhero film. Then it was also rumored that the Spiderman from the incredible spiderman was also in the movie. That alone made me expect to walk front and center when the film comes out. I don’t think a movie like this has ever happened before and I truly believe it’s the most looked out movie this year.

This year leaves so many surprises and uncertainties and the one thing I know for certain would be the fact that we have these movies to comfort us. From romances to action to comedy to horror to good old children movies. Movies are always there if needed and I’ve just listed some really good ones to pay attention to this year