Day in the Life of a Student Athlete

Brendan Gargalis, Staff Writer

Being a student-athlete can be a very hard to handle in high school. It can be difficult to make time for everything and stick to a schedule to handle it all.  It is extremely important to make a planned schedule and execute it as best as possible.

To start off my day, it is pretty normal like most others.  I get up around 6 am, get ready, and go to school.  Although, in my first period, I have football. In football, we have intense workouts every period, and it’s a good way to start my day. It gets me to wake up more and get my mind right for the day.  The only bad thing about it is that we get all sweaty so we have to go through all day sweaty from a workout and not being able to shower.  Gross right?! I know.

Next period I have history and this teacher is one of my football coaches so it’s pretty chill.  We usually take notes and go over homework and sometimes we get in groups and make posters and then present them.  It’s a pretty fun class.  Then I have journalism and I love this class because I can do all of my missing work or makeup work or just homework in this class.  It helps me get caught up and up to date.  After journalism, is 4th period which is Language Arts. Language arts can either be pretty easy or it can be very hard to keep up.  This year for me, luckily it isn’t too hard so the class isn’t bad. Yes, we get homework, sometimes a lot, but it isn’t too hard to handle right now. Then coms math; everyone knows about math.  This class is a struggle, especially if you don’t give your 110% attention when taking notes.  you can fall behind in an instant and it can be a little hard to get caught up if you don’t know the material. Some sections are easier than others, but if you pay attention you’ll be just fine.

After Math, is physics.  I’m going to be honest, I don’t understand very much in physics, but I do try my best.  There are so many equations and numbers and shapes and rules it’s confusing.  Just adds more stress into my life but that’s okay.  After this class ends, I go straight to work. At work, it’s pretty nice there.  We get snacks and drinks for free, the workers are nice, but I have to work very fast; as expected for a job.  I usually only work for 2 hours (3:30-5:30), because I have practice from 6:30-8:30.  Once I get home from work, I eat a quick snack, get my stuff for lacrosse, and then head to the field for practice.  I am usually drained by the time I get to practice but somehow I find a way to push through every day. I usually get home around 9 and ten I have homework to do.  After my homework, I get ready for bed and then I go to sleep.

With all of this in my day, it can be very long and rough sometimes, but that’s how life is. I have to find a way to make it work so I can be successful.