A Starry Night Prom 2022 Interview

A Starry Night Prom 2022 Interview

Idinma Ifeanyichukwu, A&E Editor

After two years of two different classes missing prom, you’d think that with the amount that students paid on average for their tickets, which was around $100, and with the amount that students spent on average on their outfits, which was around $300…. let’s not even get started on the limo cost and before or after prom dinner cost. With all the hype surrounding the ¨Night Of Our Dreams To Remember¨, you’d think the class of 22 would have had a great prom. We can’t complain because we were the first class to receive a prom in two years, but I guess after many years of having such high expectations for one dance, it was frustrating when those expectations weren’t reached, let alone exceeded. I figured I wasn’t the only one who was disappointed at prom, so I walked around and questioned a group of eight individuals (some of whom chose to remain anonymous) about their prom experience. The following were the questions and responses:

How was your prom?

Did you think it was all worth it?

“No, I honestly didn’t think homecoming was worth it. I mean don’t get me wrong the experience was cool and all and now I can say I can go to prom but it really didn’t fit my expectations. The Dj mainly killed my vibe” – Aijalon Brooks (12)

“In & Out saved Senior Prom” – Niko Padilla (12)

“All I’ll say is I expected more because homecoming was amazing”– Anonymous Senior

“A Lot of people were right, about the music sucked but I think overall prom is really expensive while rewarding experience” -Anonymous

“Long story short it was boring and the music was bad. Before and after prom was so fun. But the dance itself was a 4/10” – Nissi Okoloski (12)

“Prom was fun I really enjoyed the karaoke especially lol and it was definitely worth it considering that we haven’t had prom in two years because of covid.” – Makayla DiGaudio (12)

“Personally, prom was underwhelming for me. I feel like I have been looking forward to it ever since I was younger, and I was disappointed. It was a nice venue, and I do believe that they had a lot of things to do there, but it just was nowhere near what I was expecting it to be. If I weren’t in a group of people that I loved, then I definitely would not have had a good time at all my friends and boyfriend was what made prom decent. I didn’t think it was totally worth it, I feel like the DJ was playing music that none of the students were interested in and everything was way too crowded for anyone to be able to do anything. I feel like it should have been better, ESPECIALLY considering that this was the first official prom that the school has thrown in over two years. It just didn’t meet my expectations, but hopefully, the rest of the senior events are better.” – Alyx Molina (12)

I found it Disappointing and insignificant but not miserable 2. yes, but not because it was breathtaking, just because prom is something I’m glad I saw for myself but if there was another opportunity I would definitely not go because it didn’t fit my expectations. Also, lots of barefoot girls saw a lot more toes than expected. The music was so bad. Plus the deco was way too basic for that pricey of a ticket too like they relied so heavily on the aesthetic of the glass ceiling, walls, and the staircase. Also, it was a literal train station. Which was cute I guess, but they just coulda put in more effort with it, only like the GOOD part of the school was free in n out” – Hannah Kim (12)

“I thought it was okay. I think that I had more fun getting ready rather than at prom, but I still had fun dancing and getting to see all of my friends dressed up. 2. I think prom was worth it. Yeah, it wasn’t the most fun but I tried to make it as fun as I could. I wanted the experience and I’m glad I went. They could’ve done something so cool with the decor. I agree the music was bad. Plus The staircase was the worst because like I have heels on… I went upstairs once just because of that.” – Savannah Sannes (12)

Honestly, the “production” of it, like decorations on the school’s part, really disappointed me. they definitely should have used the money they had towards other things. the music sucked so much bruh, it was so evident that the administration was in control of it. the students should have some sort of control over it like the administrators could have just filtered it after or specified clean versions of the songs” – Jocelyn Valez (12)

It’s crucial to note that even while the students worked as hard as they could under the constraints, that doesn’t mean they aren’t free to express their opinions. Let’s hope the 2023 class has the prom of their dreams.