What Really Happened to Lil Tay?

What Really Happened to Lil Tay?
https://lehren.com/entertainment/hollywood/controversial-internet-star-lil-tay-reportedly-dead-at-14/175785/

On Wednesday, 9, 2023, it was reported that the 14-year-old former influencer who goes by Lil Tay had passed away. Since then, it has been reported that she is, in fact, alive and well. So what happened? Was this a publicity stunt? Did she get hacked?  

The Backstory of Lil Tay 

Lil Tay has been famous since the age of nine; her popularity began ever since she started posting videos of herself on the internet using strong profanity, holding thousands of dollars in cash, and wearing luxury clothing. This instantly caught many people’s attention, which is how she became an internet sensation. In May 2018, multiple videos were released of Lil Tay being exploited by being forced to say things in her videos by her older brother, Jason Tian. Since then, her Instagram and other social media accounts have been silenced until her recent post this Wednesday. What was last known of Lil Tay? TMZ reported on October 16, 2020, that Lil Tay and her brother were battling a legal battle against their parents.   

What happened?  

Lil Tays post

On August 9, 2023, it was reported to the public that “Lil Tay” had passed away from a post on Instagram. The post stated: “It is with a heavy heart that we share the devastating news of our beloved Claire’s sudden and tragic passing. We have no words to express the unbearable loss and indescribable pain. This outcome was entirely unexpected and has left us all in shock. Her brother’s passing adds an even more unimaginable depth to our grief. During this time of immense sorrow, we kindly ask for privacy as we grieve this overwhelming loss, as the circumstances surrounding Claire and her brother’s passing are still under investigation. Claire will forever remain in our hearts, her absence leaving an irreplaceable void that will be felt by all who knew and loved her.”

What we know now

Immediately after the post, news outlets reported her passing, and several fans were devastated and sent thousands of condolence messages online. However, many fans thought that her death seemed “sketchy,” and people had a lot of questions. The following day, Thursday 10, 2023, TMZ got an exclusive with Lil Tay stating that she is alive. She stated that she was hacked, and the hacker posted the statement of her and her brother’s death on Instagram. She said: “I want to make it clear that my brother and I are safe and alive, but I’m completely heartbroken and struggling to find the right words to say. It’s been a very traumatizing 24 hours. All day yesterday, I was bombarded with endless heartbreaking and tearful phone calls from loved ones while trying to sort out this mess.” She also says, “My Instagram account was compromised by a 3rd party and used to spread jarring misinformation and rumors regarding me, to the point that even my name was wrong. My legal name is Tay Tian, not “Claire Hope.” She made the statement about 24 hours after the post was released, and people are questioning why that is.

Was this death hoax planned? Well, Meta, the current owner of Instagram, stated that Lil Tay’s Instagram was indeed hacked and told TMZ that they helped Lil Tay regain full access to her account. Everyone is relieved that she and her brother are safe and hope to move on safely after this situation.