Lana Del Rey’s Significance

Lana Del Rey’s real name is Elizabeth Woolridge Grant. She grew up in upstate New York with her mother, father, and two younger siblings, Caroline (Chuck) and Charlie Grant. She grew up singing in church and attending regular school. She used to struggle with deviant behavior as a teen, so she was sent to Kent Boarding School at age 15. She graduated from Kent and went to Fordham College to study philosophy. She got her BA in philosophy and graduated from Fordham in 2008. This was when she released her now-deleted album “Kill Kill” under Lizzy Grant. Lana Del Rey went through many different names before she became Lana Del Rey. She released many deleted albums under the names Lizzy Grant, May Jailer, Lana Del Ray, and Sparkle Jump Rope Queen. Most of these records were released under the record label 5 Points Records. Lana Del Rey became one of the most prominent artists in the world in 2012. She first came out with her debut album, Born To Die,” with record label Polydor Records in January 2012.Lana Del Rey - Born To Die [LP] - Amazon.com Music This album is still one of her most successful albums, spending over 500 weeks on the Billboard Top 200 and having over 6 Billion streams altogether. Born to Die’s title track music video won the UK Music Video Award for Best International Pop Video in 2012. Following Born to Die came “Paradise.” Paradise also went as an extended version of Born to Die with nine more tracks. Lana Del Rey has eight more official albums that are also very successful. One is “NFR,” which was nominated for Grammy for Album of the Year in 2020. She released her most recent album, “Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd,” in March of this year. This led her to receive the Visionary Award for Billboard’s Women in  Music Awards earlier this year. She just recently received an award for the VMA’s winning Best Alternative Video for her song “Candy Necklace” with John Batiste. Lana also received the Artist of the Decade award from Variety in 2021. Most teens and young adults know her from social media apps like Tumblr, TikTok, Twitter, or Instagram. Many of Lana’s unreleased and released music has been trending on TikTok. It helped a lot of her now-scrapped albums garner a lot of attention. The Misreading of Lana Del Rey's Born to Die' Ten Years Later  Many young adults who had Tumblr when it was more popular often talk about how Lana’s melancholic yearning for freedom, distinct instrumentals, and beautiful lyricism made them love her and her music. She is known for having a deep connection with women precisely because of the topics of her songs.