Riversides 31st Annual Festival of Lights

Downtown Riverside presents the Festival of Lights at the historic Mission Inn every year. The beautiful Inn offers 4.5 million twinkly lights during the event. This seven-week-long holiday tradition is open from mid-November to the end of December. It features over 400 animated figures and is only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. This stunning event drives many people throughout California to experience and witness this view of lights in person. Also, this year, the owners decided to break the tradition and open the ceremony a week early, with the owners being proud of presenting this to the beautiful Inland Southern California community.

Ktla.com

This annual tradition was first created in 1992 as a gift for the community. Over 500,000 people visit annually, excited to see the exhibit come to life during the holidays. Kelly Rorters, co-owner, vice chairman, and chief operating officer, said, “We love seeing the joy that the festivities bring to people of all ages who look forward to spending this special time of year with us.” Co-owner Duane Roberts continued, “It brings us happiness to see children and people of all ages light up when they watch the property lights switch on.” “The Festival of Lights is a celebration our family looks forward to every year.”

pressenterprise.com

One of the country’s most significant Christmas light displays, the Festival of Lights at the Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, was named “Best Public Lights Display” by USA Today. The annual festival held by the Inn exudes renewed energy, receives greater recognition, and draws a growing number of visitors to the Riverside region. Thousands of people travel to the Mission Inn Hotel and Spa yearly.

Activities: 

During the Festival of Lights, people can participate in many Christmas-filled activities. Activities like ice skating can bring the most entertainment to visitors looking for an interactive venture to do for Christmas. The ice rink is located on the west side of the Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art and Culture of the Riverside Art Museum. The rink is only available in hourly sessions at the following times: 5:00 pm- 6:15 pm, 6:45 pm – 8:00 pm, 8:30 pm -10:00 pm. While the festival is free, skating costs $20 per skater, and additional skate helpers are $5.

Another fun-filled activity this attraction offers is the innovative arts market, brought by the Riverside Arts Council and Division 9, where the community can purchase original and unique art made by local artists. This artisan collective is held on Main St. from 10th Street to University Ave. This market is open from Thursday to Sunday from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

Additionally, this event offers entertainment, food vendors, and the support of local businesses. The community entertainers will perform on Benjamin Franklin’s stage from 5 pm to 10 pm. Then, there will be a variety of food that will offer festival-favorite treats. Popular places include Barret’s Tamales-hot chocolate and churros; Bubbas Jerky- jerky and nuts; JC Concessions- kettle corn; kettle tyme-funnel cakes; Robertsons Roasted Nuts- roasted nuts; and The Gingerbread Shop- baked sweet treats.