My Review on Saltburn

Who’s in it?

Saltburn is written, directed, and produced by Emerald Fennell, starring Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, Rosamund Pike, Richard E. Grant, Alison Oliver, and Archie Madekwe. Set in Oxford and Northamptonshire, England, it focuses on a student at Oxford who becomes fixated with a popular, aristocratic fellow student at his university, who later invites him to spend the summer at his eccentric family’s estate. 

My Review

This movie is fantastic. The plot, acting, and actors are incredible. There are so many plot twists and mysteries in this movie. Barry Keoghan and Jacob Elordi are such talented actors. It is a bit confusing in some parts of the film, but later on, it’s straightforward to understand.  Emerald Fennell is such a fantastic director. This movie is rated R, so I don’t recommend watching it with your parents because of some of the parts in the film. But this movie was fantastic and so entertaining.

This movie is rated R, so I don’t recommend watching it with your parents because of some of the parts in the film. But this movie was fantastic and so entertaining. I very much enjoyed the movie. I thought it a provoking film that challenges conventional storytelling, its blend of mythology and modernity, a narrative that forces us to confront the dark aspects of desire and ambition.

Saltburn is a story about Oliver, portrayed by Barry Keoghan. His infatuation with Felix Catton, which starts at Oxford,  quickly spirals into an obsession, leading to some morally ambiguous, if not outright disturbing,  choices that begin as a seemingly innocent attraction that soon morphs into something dark and uncontrollable. What struck me most about this saltburn is its brilliant use of Greek mythology as a narrative tool. The parallel between Oliver’s action and the story of Theseus and the Minotaur adds a rich layer of symbolism. This mythological reference is integral to understanding Oliver’s character and journey. It also delves into the themes of social class and the dichotomy between public persona and private reality in an age where social media often dictates how we present ourselves to the world. Oliver’s character becomes a vessel for exploring these themes, making us question the authenticity of those around us.

The performance in the film was noteworthy. Barry Keoghan delivered a nuanced portrayal of Oliver, balancing vulnerability with an underlying sense of menace. The supporting cast, including Jacob Elordi and Rosamund Pike, contributed significantly to the film’s overall impact. I’ve been skeptical of them, but I was impressed. While it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, I was grossed out by two scenes. You know Saltburn is worth the watch.

Other Opinions

Since this movie is so popular, I wanted to see other people’s reviews. 

Rigxla said, “Just watched it, and I was disappointed. Have. I’ve just been online seeing what people thought about it, and I feel like I’m going mad as the consensus seems to love the film.”

Continuing, “I thought it was predictable and uninspired. It was as though it wanted to say something but ultimately said nothing beyond typifying the fears of the English middle class imposing on the aristocracy. Which is fine, but it wasn’t particularly proactive or insightful. If I had seen this when I was 15, I might have enjoyed it more.”

“The cinematography was pretty good, as was Barry’s performance and the soundtrack. But the storytelling, the plot, and the screenplay all leave a lot to be desired for me.

Saltburn movie review: a deliciously twisty tale of grotesque ...