Laufey’s Win for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album 2024 Grammy Awards

Many congratulations to the artists who won a Grammy, but a very special shoutout to one artist for this artist’s very first Grammy award. The 66th Annual Grammys Awards (2024) features fantastic hits such as “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish From the Motion Picture “Barbie” and “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift. It was an extraordinary night for her as this would presumably be embedded in her mind for the rest of time.

Ascending songwriter/singer and multi-instrumentalist, “Laufey,” continues her music career and takes a jazz approach. She released her debut album “Everything I Know About Love” in 2022, charting in Iceland and the US, and found her groove as “Gen-Z’s resident emo-jazz romanticist.” Then, with her follow-up album “Bewitched,” her single “From the Start” found moderate success in Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. Then, in 2024, at the 66th Annual Grammys Award, “Bewitched” won the Grammys for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album award.

Bewitched Album Cover (Laufey)

After winning her first-ever Grammy, Laufey says the recognition and validity feel “validating” and “exciting.” When asked the virtual question, “How do you feel about your role in bringing jazz music to a wider audience and incorporating pop into that and just creating such an audience that can value jazz music?” she says it feels fantastic, “I grew up you know singing jazz standards and loving jazz music, and I kind of felt a little bit alone in it and I noticed that nobody hated it either so I made it a goal to create a community of an audience that likes this kind of music and I think it’s been the biggest gift in this process.” 

Laufey was born in 1999 in Reykjavik, Iceland, where she and her twin sister (Junia) have been engrossed in music since they were consumed by the beautiful sounds made by composers like Ravel and Chopin and their mother, who was a classical violinist. As a child, Laufey played the piano and the cello. She also performed as a cello soloist with Iceland’s Symphony Orchestra at 15 years of age and participated in Iceland’s “The Voice” as their youngest competitor. After earning a Presidential Scholarship at the Berklee College of Music, Laufey moved to Boston to write her songs and perform classics on Instagram and TikTok. In 2020, she came out with her debut single, “Street by Street,” which topped the Icelandic radio charts and earned support from Billie Eilish and Willow Smith.

1
View Comments (1)
$500
$600