Ducks Days at Disney California Adventure

Joanna Cruz
Hollywood Backlot Stage
Ducks Days Information Signs

From February 22 to 23, the Anaheim Ducks Hockey team visited Disney California Adventure. The two-day celebration- Ducks Days– commemorated the team’s 30th anniversary with unique appearances, events, merchandise, food, and activities. These appearances were from current Ducks on the 22nd and alumni Ducks on the 23rd during the cavalcade and the meet and greets. The event also provided entertainment, from live DJs to games. On Friday, February 23, I could make the trip to Disneyland and check the event out for myself.

Hollywood Land Street For Cavalcade

I arrived at California Adventure at 1 p.m., giving me just enough time to see the banners and signs for the schedules before the cavalcade. The streets of Buena Vista and Hollywood Land began to fill with fans as they waited before the cavalcade start time at 1:45 p.m. Preparation for the event began as cast members walked through the parade route, stirring the crowd. Then it started as the Bear Brass Band played the cavalcade in a Ducks Days banner, cheerleaders, rollerskaters, and the alumni riding in a car with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Then came a parade float complete with more former players joined by Daisy and Donald Duck, followed by cheerleaders and fans trailing behind.

Hockey Player Inflatable and Air Hockey Table

Soon after following the cavalcade, I had some extra time to walk around the Hollywood Land area and see what they had done for the event. Starting at the Hyperion end of the Fan Zone, I saw my first photo opportunity, a “Fly Together” puck. I then reached the merchandise corner, where the first noticeable detail was a giant inflatable Ducks hockey player greeting you as you reached the area; right next to it was an air hockey table open to all. Off to the side was a sign listing the limited edition products for the celebration and their prices. As you read down the list, you can see that most merchandise had already been sold out, and this was by 2 p.m., long before most people could arrive on a regular weekday. To view the merchandise before you reached the main line, there was a clear case on a pedestal displaying some products, such as ears ($35), a cap ($35), a mug ($20), a hockey puck ($15), and a tumbler ($35). Also available for viewing was a Ducks Days shirt ($30)shown on a mannequin.

Miller, Huskins, and Stothers

By the time I’d finished viewing the merchandise and taking note of what they had for sale, I continued walking and reached the Hollywood Backlot Stage. On stage was a DJ playing live music with multiple screens playing a slide of Ducks players as a backdrop. Fans were watching and sitting in the lounge area, which was open to all. Also there were those with wristbands waiting for the 2:45 meet and greet to begin. As time passed, a host asked the crowd questions, getting them ready to see the players. He opened with a simple question, “The Mighty Ducks was made into a live-action series on Disney Plus, True or False?” The crowd shouted their responses as the questioned fan answered “True” and received a prize as did all the other responders that evening, these prizes included Ducks team hats and flags. 

As the time drew nearer and it was finally time for the players to come out a countdown starting at 30 appeared on the screen. Everyone reached for their phones as the screen split down the middle, smoke came out, and the former players Kent Huskins and Ryan Miller along with Mike Stothers stepped onto the stage. Fans then joined them on stage as they met and greeted each other and took pictures.

The evening events slowed down a bit, and I could see what Ducks-themed food they had in Hollywood Land. During my first roundabout to the merchandise, I noticed a cart selling Purple Grape or Blue Vanilla Swirl cotton candy ($6.50)and decided to make that my first stop. With the cotton candy purchase, you’re also given a complimentary Ducks Days sticker. Besides the cotton candy, they had a limited Brewery x Ducks Beer ($12.75). Despite the drink’s special Ducks-themed can, the purchaser was not allowed to keep the can but rather had the contents poured into a plastic cup. 

Ducks Days Chocolate Mousse Cake
Chicken Fried Steak Burrito

Over at the Schmoozies shop, Chocolate Mousse Cake ($7.29) was available only from the 22nd to the 23rd. This was a “chocolate cake filled with cookies and cream mousse and raspberry filling, topped with crushed cookie and chocolate pieces and a chocolate deco,” according to the Disney app mobile order item detail. The next themed food item was at the Studio Catering Co food truck, the Chicken Fried Steak Burrito ($13.49), which contained hasbrown, chicken, egg, bell peppers, and sauce. The last drink was an orange cocktail ($18), found at Hollywood Lounge, and is available only from the 22nd to the 23rd.

Are you looking for some downtime after all that food and live action? Heading down Hollywood Land and to the right of the Hyperion was an activity area. It opens with various photo opportunities where fans are interviewed, games all around, and another live DJ in the middle of it all. To the right was the Duck Puck Durby, which the very Anaheim Ducks mascot, Wild Wing, was having a go at with fans. You could also find a locker-like setup with hockey jerseys, helmets, and sticks on display there. As you continue, more games are revealed, such as the skill shot, where guests can pick up a hockey stick and puck and try to score a goal. Other activities included a park-wide “seek and find,” which consisted of finding signs highlighting Anaheim Ducks History Moments, which also served as a photo opportunity.

Stanley Cup Seek and Find Sign

Although I could only enjoy one day out of two, it was an entertaining and activity-packed celebration. It was definitely an enjoyable event on my end and the part of the Hockey players as well. In the Anaheim Ducks video, current player Gudas reflects, “It’s been nothing but amazing.” A local fan, Kelsey Wong, supports this view, saying, “It’s just a really great place… having such an awesome venue with great music, great food.” Former player Etem adds, “The Calvacade was fun, really seems like one big family, which is awesome.” For more insight into the players’ thoughts, the Light The Lamp podcast held Ducks Days 1 and 2 interviews.