Principal’s Student Advisory Council

Principals Student Advisory Council

Hanna Rauls, Staff Writer

The Principal’s Student Advisory Council. This committee is made up of hand-picked students that, based on grades and their demographic, were nominated to be included. The committee has come together during lunches twice so far during the 2017-2018 school year. During these meetings, we have discussed pressing matters that have peaked the interest of our very own Mr. Bond. He asks the participants to openly speak their peace towards topics so that he can understand the student demographic and understand how and what we think. The whole point of this council is solely that: Mr. Bond wants to hear directly from the student body so that he can tend to our needs. We are encouraged to bring up topics of discussion in which we as students feel need to be addressed, and that opportunity is never passed up.

The most recent meeting was focused closely on the safety of the school that was brought to attention during the week prior. The discussion consisted of what we thought the school could do to implement an extra safety measure, as well as simply being informed of what had happened during the threat of shooting. Mr. Bond treats the students involved as adults. He formally apologized for the mistakes he felt were made during the event both by the school as a whole and by himself individually. He verbally explained to us why certain measures couldn’t have been taken and what prevented them. Among other things discussed, the meeting revolved around Mr. Bond owning his mistakes and asking us our true opinion of the situation and what could have made the situation better.

This council is a productive time for a mixed demographic to respond to Mr. Bond’s concerns. It’s a time where Mr. Bond is really open to suggestions and commentary and is considerate to anything anyone had to say. Any time that a school official takes time out of their day to be still and hear the concerns and opinions of the student body is something that is highly respectable and appreciated.