Back To The Past? Florida’s New Bill

Florida’s current governer

As of August 3rd, Florida, the Sunshine State released some not-so-sunshin-ey news. They banned AP psychology, a rigorous and challenging course offered to students in high school. The reason proving to be even more shocking. Gender and Sexuality. In this course, students learn more about the ways of the mind, with talks of gender, sexuality, and hormones included. The bill is called the “Don’t Say, Gay”.Florida deemed this education inappropriate, and now it just doesn’t exist.

Find out more at:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/florida-effectively-bans-ap-psychology-course-lgbtq-content-college-bo-rcna98036 

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/28/1089221657/dont-say-gay-florida-desantis

As a resident of California, topics such as these are welcomed, and minorities aren’t treated like some illnesses. We tend not to pass or close down rights offered to humans for bare knowledge and skill. What Florida’s governor did was not only shut down education provided to children, but he also took them back to the 18th century. As a developing society, we must learn that just because someone is different does not mean they are wrong. His argument was just downright homophobic and absurd.

To determine how this affected Florida’s younger population, I interviewed students at Santiago who took that course. This is what they have to say:

Student 1: “It is awful that Florida banning AP psychology limits their knowledge and takes away an opportunity that could help them later in life. Such as going into a psychological field or profession. I feel that it’s too much, and just for a simple issue, they’re banning an entire subject that a student can use for their college applications and whatnot.”

Student 2: “From what I have learned in AP psychology, a lot of it has been gender-based in one way or another because a big part of how you react to things is gender and your hormones. It is a big part of it. So taking that out is just detrimental.” 

Student 3: “I think everything needs to be talked about and can’t be discriminated against or limited towards what certain people want. Everything should be and needs to be taught in school.”

Student 4: “I don’t think that listening to my teacher talk about genders and hormones and things ever confused me about my sexuality. It’s weird how people think that way.”

Students don’t understand what the point of this ban is. According to the students here at Santi, the ban is unnecessary and ridiculous. Striking a student of a learning opportunity based on personal beliefs and customs is selfish and homophobic.

As students have stated. It’s also ridiculous how the governor and other educational leaders in Florida believe that simply learning about something makes you become one. As if it’s a sort of apocalypse? “AHHHHHHHHHH SAVE YOURSELVES! IT’S A WOMAN WITH ROMANTIC FEELINGS FOR ANOTHER WOMAN.” It’s shallow and ignorant of Florida to control their youth and make certain minorities feel underrepresented and hated. It’s pretty disgusting how people view the LQBTQIA+ community as a contagious disease and how, even today, in this day and age, we have to fight for our right to learn and be ourselves. This topic shouldn’t even have to be discussed; as a member of Gen-Z and a child growing into Adulthood and part of several minorities, it makes me scared. What’s next?