Iraq Wedding Turned Into Fatality?

On Tuesday, September 26, 2023, in Qaraqosh, northern Iraq, in a Christian town that had survived Islamic State occupation, a fire broke out at a wedding with 1,300 guests present (Iraqi Joint Operations Command Spokesperson Major General Pilot Tahseen Al Khafaji told CNN). This same fire killed at least 100 people and injured another 150.

Iraq wedding fire caused by 'gross negligence', government investigation says | Reuters
the fire aftermath

Fireworks were set off on this tragic day at the venue in the Hamdaniya district of northeast Nineveh governorate. The Iraqi Civil Defense had publically stated, “…an investigative committee was formed to identify the cause of the incident.” In addition, on that Wednesday, Interior Minister Abdul Amir al-Shammari told reporters, “The hall did not meet safety criteria. Because of the fireworks, the ceiling collapsed on the people in the hall,” while adding, “Justice will be served to those who were negligent.”

Fortunately, the bride (Haneen) and the groom (Rivan Esho) have survived this calamity and are in the hospital, receiving proper treatment, as revealed by the groom’s father. Later, the groom’s father also said, “I hold the owner of the hall responsible for what happened at the party because there are no extinguishers or safety measures in the hall.”

State media later stated that the owners were arrested.

There is also a video posted on social media (Reuters doesn’t yet confirm that), which showed “the flares suddenly catching a glittering ceiling decoration that burst into flames, as sounds of excitement turned rapidly to panic.” as told by reuters.com. Another video (not verified by Reuters) displayed “a couple dancing in wedding clothes as burning material begins to drop to the floor.”

Video points to safety issues that led to deadly Iraq wedding blaze, expert says - ABC News
During the slow dance of the married couple, the fire broke out, as seen in this picture.

After this fiasco, the survivors were transferred to hospitals in Nineveh and the nearby Kurdistan region. Nineveh governor Najm Al-Jubouri told Iraqi state news agency INA.

Following this fire catastrophe, Iraqis have been “protesting against corruption, unemployment, and a lack of basic services  – including electricity and clean water – as the country has failed to achieve stability following decades of sanctions and war.” (according to cnn.com) The carelessness of authorities has led to a shortage of safety measures during reconstruction attempts, followed by years of conflict.

In addition to the poor structure of the venue, the wedding hall (where the fire took place) was made up of highly flammable Ecobond panels that breached safety requirements (according to Iraqi Civil Defense). Iraqi Civil Defense also said, “The fire led to the collapse of parts of the hall due to the use of highly flammable, low-cost building materials that collapse within minutes when fire breaks out.”

According to Prime Minister Mohammed Shiaa Al-Sudani‘s office, he has informed and directed his cabinet to help the people affected by the fire. The Nineveh governor has also contacted the Iraq leader (by telephone) about this incident and how they could fully support all victims (according to his office and INA).

The Iraqi government issued a three-day national mourning period to honor the people who have lost their lives due to this unfortunate event.