Peso Pluma, Mexico’s Breakout Music Star, Finds New Spotlights

Peso Pluma, whose real name is Hassan Emilio Kabande Laija, was born in Guadalajara, and when he was a child, he also liked to spend time with his family in Sinaloa. He found inspiration in the work of Chalino Sanches, who is a  famous and fundamental singer of narcocorridos, which is a style of music that sings about Mexican drug trafficking. Peso loved his music and fell in love with “the husky voice, his way of singing corridos, his way of singing romantic songs.” From that moment on, he was inspired by Chalino Sanchez and started singing.

Peso Pluma, Mexico's Breakout Music Star, Finds New Spotlights - The New York Times

Peso, 24 years old, is one of the kings of the corrido tumbados singers; it is a modern version of the traditional music of Mexico, which has had great success in recent years. Peso is one of the singers who sings and raps in a way reminiscent of hip-hop and reggaeton. (Peso Pluma, which translates to featherweight, is his stage name but also refers to the music and his band as the group they are as a whole)

In July, “Genesis,” Peso’s third album, debuted on the Billboard all-genre album chart at number 3, the first time an album by a Mexican singer reached the top spot and position. And has been able to remain in the top 10. On Spotify, his songs have been played several million times.

There have been times when there are crossovers between Mexican-American artists in this country: the gangster rap of Kid Frost, the emotional ballads of Selena Gomez, and the light R&B and hip-hop of Frankie J and Baby Bash. Mexican singers and performers of what is called regional Mexican music. Peso has collaborated with artists from the Spanish-speaking world, including Puerto Rican Eladio Carrion, Dominican Dembow star El Alfa, and Argentine superstar producer Bizarrap. One of his songs, “Ella Baila Sola,” a collaboration with Eslabon Armado, was the first Mexican song to reach the Top 5 of the Hot 100 of all Billboard genres.

Peso Pluma is not clear about what genre he sings; he sings different genres and types of music; they tend to be romantic, some are boastful, and others are in line with narcocorridos (these songs are the songs that have given rise to the threats, complaints against him)

As an artist and singer of songs (narcocorridos), since Peso sings too much about drug trafficking, many cartels denounce Peso for mentioning them in his songs; the Jalisco New Generation Cartel demanded that Peso cancel all his concerts in the city and that no longer want to that is presented more in Mexico.

Peso Pluma hopes that the new paths available not only for him but for all Mexican singers can continue creating more music and show everyone that they can succeed as he did. Peso, in just a few years, became a famous singer who, for everything, works like singing songs of different types of genres.