What makes the Arts Reflection Program Special?

Who runs the Program?

Lisa Puckett is the PTSA president on our campus. It is her first year being president at Santiago, but she has also been president at Citrus Hills Intermediate along with Eisenhower Elementary School. When asked why she chose to be PTSA president, she expressed, “My favorite thing is working with students, so being a part of that, whether doing the Reflection Arts Program or being in the wellness center.  It allows me to give back to the students, the school, and my community, and it is the largest child advocacy program in the country. There are five million members nationwide, so I’d like to bring that here to Santiago High.” She has two students here at Santiago High; one is a sophomore, and one is a freshman. She attended Boston University, where she earned her Bachelor’s Degree along with her Master’s Degree in four years, which is very impressive.

You can find her in the Wellness Center in F202!

When was the program established?

It started 50 years ago by the National PTA, and there have been over 10 million contestants nationwide. PTA started to let students express themselves. “Literature and such is graded; nothing is graded so students don’t feel the pressure, and they can just be themselves and allow them to represent themselves, ” responded Mrs. Puckett.

What should people know about the contest?

Any grade and class can participate. You can be creative with your voice. There are different categories: “Visual Arts, Painting, Three Dimensional Art, Photography, Literature, Poetry, Screenplays, and even Reflective essays and Video and Film productions.

It is simply a way for students to voice themselves and allow them to feel that connection within their piece, not to make it like a challenge. In a sense, there is a reward ceremony, and this also allows them to get a PTSA scholarship. “It’s a perfect opportunity for students to express themselves.”

The most crucial part is for students to work to represent the theme, giving them many opportunities to be creative. It also allows them to show a side that most people have not seen about them. There are no grades nor competition, and sometimes you may be unable to express yourself as there’s always a rubric to follow.” It’s simply a way for students to feel comfortable and write something without feeling the pressure of a grade.

Students have until October 13th! Your submission must have an artist statement. The theme this year is “I Am Hopeful Because..”

What kind of kids have won in the past?

“We have had everything from one of the video winners who was an ROTC student who did a compilation of last year’s theme on a video.” Artists who have submitted songs and marked them as literature and successful dance choreographies as long as visual arts and exceptional artists can also compete. “I have seen some students who took some hours out of their day and made it; some took days, some took weeks; we know with photography since everyone has a cellphone, you might just capture that perfect shot just walking around.”

We thank Lisa for being our President; the deadline is October 13th!