Interacting with your Community

Interacting with your Community
David Nadalin

Santiago offers its students various clubs, electives, extracurricular activities, and classes. When it comes to the clubs, you’ll find ones based around hobbies, celebrating heritage, and even clubs working with other organizations outside of school. And one of those clubs is Interact Club. 

So, we will do a little dive to learn more about it. And by talking to the President of the club, Josselyn Palacios, I’ve gained a little more insight into what it’s all about.

Credit: Interact Club

How would you describe Interact Club? 

“Interact club is a service club sponsored by the Corona Rotary and centered by the motto’ Service Above Self.’ With the guidance of our experienced Rotarians, our Interact members are given opportunities to engage with their community through meaningful service projects while developing skills and creating new friendships.”

“…Ultimately, our goal is to encourage the youth to care for their community on a larger scale.” 

What made you join the Interact club, and what made you stay? 

“In my junior year, my senior cross-country teammates re-started the Interact club to unite our Santiago students and instill the value of service within the youth. I shadowed the President, observing how to run the club and the importance it served our members and staff.”

“Knowing how much of a difference our club makes on and off campus inspired me to run for president my senior year.”

What are your goals for the club as President? 

“As president, it’s my goal to encourage our members and students at large to recognize the potential within themselves to serve our community selflessly and to take the initiative in helping how they can.”

“I hope to continue guiding our members through the wise words of special guest speakers at meetings and through the service opportunity of maintaining Daisy’s rock garden with rocks painted with kind words by our members to spread positivity.”

“And I aspire for our club to remain at Santiago beyond my years here with the help of the rising leaders our members are growing to become.” 

Why do you think people should join?/Why is it an excellent club to be in? 

“Interact club serves beyond teaching students how to navigate their high school campus and community. Our club is founded on pillars of service, self-discovery, and leadership to cultivate a welcoming and grounded environment for students to explore their inner leaders.”

“With the guidance of experienced Rotarians and their knowledge of businesses, our members can envision a prosperous future for themselves, beginning with serving their community. Interact Club offers a place of growth for our members who partake in volunteer events and projects that enlighten the lives of many.” 

I have only been in Interact for one semester, so I have limited knowledge and experience regarding it, but it has been a good experience so far. It provides many service opportunities, and the speakers are always fascinating. Listening to people from the Rotary is genuinely interesting; it allows you to expand your worldview and learn about different jobs, organizations, and more. And, of course, there’s rock painting, too. 

Credit: Interact Club

And the fact that club meetings are held in the Wellness Center doesn’t hurt either. So, as the first semester ends and the second semester approaches, consider Interact when considering joining new clubs.

And, of course, if it interests you right now, you can find Interact on Instagram @santiagointeract.