What makes a GREAT Santiago Teacher?

https%3A%2F%2Fsantiago.cnusd.k12.ca.us%2Facademics%2Fenglish__language_arts
https://santiago.cnusd.k12.ca.us/academics/english__language_arts

Without a doubt, there are many excellent teachers and staff at Santiago High School. The teachers at this school do their job and make sure their students and the kids on the campus are always being a “S.H.A.R.K” and showing academic honesty, responsibility, kindness, and so much more. The teachers strive to be an excellent example for their students and help them grow as people, not just academically but morally. All teachers have different teaching styles that allow them to be creative while also allowing kids to be productive and learn to the best of their ability simultaneously. Here’s what a few teachers at the school had to say about how their teaching makes them stand out from the rest:

“I don’t know that it’s a style; I think it’s just a personality. I would say my personality is maybe slightly not normal… from others. It’s personality; I think that’s part of it. I think personality matters, and everyone wants a different experience, and that’s okay. Some people like being direct, like ” we are on page 7…” and that’s awesome, but I’m not that guy, and some people like other things, and I think some people’s personalities fit better with mine.” -Mr. Baron

This teacher’s outlook is that all students learn differently and retain information differently. Most students described his personality as bubbly and fun, and he makes learning history an enjoyable experience by simply understanding and getting to know his students. Instead of going by the book, he strives to take learning to a different level through his intriguing classroom and the motivation to make students enjoy school.

“I just think that all students should be mindful of their time and be on time. I’m just here to teach them how to apply the knowledge, but it is up to them whether they choose to put in the effort or not.” -Kropko.

As a math teacher, Kropko believes he can only do so much as a teacher. It’s up to the students to try to practice the subject they’re learning because no student is unintelligent. It’s just about whether or not the student puts effort into their learning.

I’m not sure how to answer this question- I don’t want to compare myself with other teachers because we are all unique and different in our personalities and teaching styles. So I teach AP Art History, Drawing and Painting 1 and 2, and Coach JV boys’ and girls’ volleyball. I feel students thrive the most when they know what to expect from the class and what it looks like for them to be successful. I am passionate about my classes and hope to inspire students to be excited about learning art and culture,  creative thinking, and the value of practice.”

Mrs. Min is an AP Art History teacher, Drawing and Painting 1 and 2, and a boys’ and girls’ volleyball coach who believes a student’s potential is all in the power of their hands. She believes that her students are the most successful when they know what the teacher expects of them, how much they can set goals in their minds, and have a mental checklist of work they should expect when they walk in the door. 

“More than myself or my teaching style, I think students may prefer the subject matter I teach. PE is a welcome break from sitting in a classroom for many students. Exercise helps relieve stress, and Yoga PE is very relaxing. I try to make it fun by mixing the activities, games, and sports. Students also have a lot of opportunities to socialize with classmates during PE, which usually makes it an enjoyable experience.”

man and woman sitting on chairs

Mrs. Holguin is a yoga teacher at Santiago who believes her students prefer the subject she teaches rather than the teacher herself. She wants her students to make yoga an enjoyable experience through games and activities because she believes in having fun while working out.

“This is awesome! As a Teacher, I like to share genuine stories /compare and contrast my life as a Mexican-American teacher. I am a patient, loving, and grateful person- The only time I ever raise my voice in class- is when I say- “Celulares! ” -Mrs. Ponce

This Spanish teacher believes that having a good character and being kind and understanding to her students while sharing her life stories will allow students to relate to her more and feel a deeper connection, motivating them to concentrate in her class. She is also against cell phones to have students’ full attention.

“My strategy for teaching is to inspire students to have the same love and appreciation for fitness that I have. I work on trying different activities during the year in hopes that one will be a perfect fit. I enjoy what I do and love when I can connect with my students. ” -Mrs. Irvin

This PE teacher believes that she has a connection with the students, and when she can connect with them and agree on a similar love for fitness while also having fun, it makes her class enjoyable for students.

“I don’t believe that I do anything “different” from other teachers at Santiago that would prompt students to “prefer” me over others. As a student teacher, I have spent the last year observing and learning from all of the wonderful Santiago educators who passionately strive to ensure their students are successful. I try to show up every day with a positive attitude, I remain eager to challenge students, and I aspire to demonstrate how the skills we learn in language arts apply to numerous diverse settings outside of the classroom.” – Ms. Hyatt.

Ms. Hyatt is a student teacher who ensures she always has a smile in her classroom and applies the language arts she teaches to the “real” world so that students find connections and understand the material better.

“I think teachers also share qualities I might have that students appreciate. But the proportion of those may vary between teachers, and this is why students may have different favorite teachers, depending on what resonates most with them. I imagine that students who highly resonate with me are those who appreciate a high-class organization that they can rely on each day, engaging lecture/discussion, a similar sense of humor, increasing achievement in a difficult subject, and knowing that I care for them and want them to master skills that they can transfer beyond high school to achieve their dreams.” -Lachman.

Lachman believes that the students who resonate with him are the ones who have a level of organization and know what to expect every day in the classroom, which allows them to succeed.

“I believe students all can learn and are all smart. Every student has a creative outlet and bright mind shown through their writing. In my class, I prioritize communication because bouncing off ideas from other students helps them learn.” -Brasington.

Mrs. Brasingotn is a language arts teacher who believes student interactions are crucial in allowing students to learn from others, making them look forward to talking to their friends and peers daily and making her class enjoyable.

“I think my teaching style is to always be busy with various techniques—from notes to labs to games, there isn’t a lot of downtime. I also think students enjoy my class because I work hard to be welcoming, a safe space, and fair and understanding.” -Espinosa.

Mrs. Espinosa is a science teacher who makes learning fun through games and labs that allow students to engage in the topic, unlike other teachers who stick to the book and learn through reading and writing.

Overall, many teachers don’t want to compare themselves to other teachers because they all have different teaching styles but still can teach their students effectively in the way they believe helps their students succeed.