Adams Memorial at School
For Adam
Kendall Hutchinson, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024

Super Bowl and Pro Bowl Preview

Irvin vs Rice. Manning vs Newton. Thomas vs Norman. Defense vs Defense. The next nine days will have all kinds of matchups.

Michael Irvin has the best skill guys—DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, and Todd Gurley; while Jerry Rice’s team consists of a more defensive approach—Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, Tamba Hali, along with seemingly better QB’s and younger skill guys. Don’t be surprised by anything that happens in this game. For instance, we might see Charles Woodson with a reception TD or Clay Matthews run it at the 1. Hey, you never know.

Apparently, this could be Peyton Manning’s “last rodeo,” although nothing has been confirmed. Players from Carolina don’t care whether it is or isn’t, as they believe he’s had enough during his time and it is now theirs. The Super Bowl will most likely come down to defense, which features the two best in the league. No one has been able to stop Cam Newton. However, he hasn’t faced a pass rush quite like Denver’s. Von Miller is playing like he’s in starvation mode and on a mission; evident by the havoc he created on Tom Brady. Chris Harris was banged up for a best slot WR vs. best slot CB matchup on Julian Edelman, but still held his own. Harris has an extra week to heal and rest, so look for him to be a pivotal part of the game plan, most likely covering Ted Ginn and Corey Brown. On the other side, it will be Talib vs Funchess. Funchess is a long, big receiver, but Talib matches him in size and range. T.J. Ward and Darian Stewart will share reps covering Greg Olsen, who is the x-factor for Carolina.

The Panthers are bullies on defense. The matchup to watch is Demaryius Thomas vs. All-Pro Josh Norman. Denver needs to establish himself with some quick, easy catches early, then attack Norman all second half. If throwing towards Norman doesn’t work, look for Denver to pound the ball down the middle to set up deep play action passes to Emmanuel Sanders.

The key for the Broncos is to avoid the big mistake. Carolina has a knack for returning turnovers to touchdowns. Therefore, as long as Denver plays a clean game, they will keep all momentum. Look for the score to be around the low 20’s. This could also be one of those “whoever has the ball last, wins” games.