Adams Memorial at School
For Adam
Kendall Hutchinson, Staff Writer • May 6, 2024

Super Bowl 50

Super Bowl 50 started off with every games first play; the coin toss flipped by legend Joe Montana. The Panthers won the coin toss and elected to kick giving the ball to the Broncos first.

The Broncos took advantage of receiving the ball first and brought the ball down the field for 3 first downs. They couldn’t convert and get 6 points up and instead kicked a field goal and scored with 10:43 reaming in the first quarter making the score 0-3 Broncos.

After kicking the ball to the Panthers, Cam Newton entered the field for his first Super Bowl. He threw a ball that was a questionable catch and it was ruled no catch. The Panthers head coach, Ron Rivera, threw his red flag out challenging the play and making the officials review it. After a couple wonderful Super Bowl commercials the officials came back to say that the ruling on the field stood and the catch was incomplete. The very next play the Broncos defense showed why they are the number one defense in the country, taking Cam down for a sack causing him to fumble, which the Broncos recovered and turned it into 6 points with only 6:27 left in the first quarter. The score is now 0-10 Broncos.

Panthers get the ball back and finally get across half field; they ended up getting a touchdown after running-back Stewart dove into the end zone with 11:25 in the second quarter; making the score 7-10 Broncos, but giving the Panthers hope to catch up.

The next drive for the Broncos resulted in a punt giving the ball back to the Panthers; however, they also could not convert and were forced to punt the ball away.

The Broncos’ punt returner Norwood returned a 61-yard punt making it the longest punt return in Super Bowl history.

After the long punt return the Broncos couldn’t earn a touchdown and settled with another field goal with 6:58 in the second quarter, making them the last team to put points up before halftime. At halftime the score was 7-13 Broncos.

All season long the Panthers had never been down in score making this their first time down.

After the wonderful halftime show the Panthers received the ball. They converted a first down on a 44-yard pass to put them past half field. The Broncos’ defense stopped them forcing them to attempt a 44-yard field goal; which hit the top right post and bounced out making it “no good” with 10:45 reaming in the third quarter.

Broncos take the ball down the field and are stopped by Panthers’ defense forcing them to attempt a 30-yard field goal with 8:18 remaining in the third quarter.

The Panthers also took the ball down the field and were stopped and forced to attempt another field goal; this one made making the score 10-16 Broncos with 10:21 in the fourth quarter.

Broncos’ defense continued to prove why they are number one, making Cam Newton fumble again and pick the ball up on the 6-yard line of the Broncos’ own end zone. The Broncos ran the ball into the end zone with only 3:33 left in the fourth quarter making the Panthers win very unlikely.

After the touchdown, the Broncos attempted a 2-point conversion to ensure the win, incase any miracles happen.

The final score of Super Bowl 50 was 10-24 giving the Broncos the win and upsetting the Carolina Panthers.