Shark’s Stunning Defeat to the Huskies

On Wednesday April 27, 2016 the Santiago High School Sharks went up against league rivals, The Centennial High School Huskies in a home conference game. The Huskies were able to end the Shark’s 8-game home winning streak dating back to March 12. Prior to the loss the Shark’s team rankings were 146 in the country, 27 in the state, and in the top 20 in the Southern Section. Also prior to the game Santiago’s only league loss was April 20 at King High School.
The game started with the Sharks starting pitcher #23 Manny Perez (12) pitching a gem in the first inning going 3-up and 3-down. Offensively, the Sharks started off really slow going 3-up and 3-down in the first two innings themselves. Also in the second inning the Sharks survived the inning without giving up a run despite a man being on third with only one out.
The game suddenly shifted in the Huskies favor with a three run inning on 4 hits and an error in the third. On the other side of the ball the Shark’s offensive struggles continued only being able to get one hit and two walks through the first 4 innings. Despite the struggles on both sides Manny Perez was able to record 5 strikeouts in the first four innings.
In the fifth inning the Shark’s sudden burst of offense were able to cut the Huskies lead to one with two runs on three hits and two walks including a 2-run triple with 2 outs from #10 Jacob Shanks (10). The sixth inning was quiet with only one hit from both of the team’s offenses. The seventh inning began with Santiago’s relief pitcher #22 Casey Young (12) giving up two doubles and two runs letting the Huskies to extend their lead. On Santiago’s offensive side the Centennial Huskies starting pitcher was able to finish his complete game, only letting up six hits and two runs.
Even with this stunning loss, the Sharks are still in first place in the Big 8 league standings with a league record of 8-2. Santiago now looks to seek revenge with a win on April 29, 2016 at Centennial High School.