Sharks Become League Champs Once Again

On Wednesday May 11, 2016 the Santiago Sharks clashed against their Big 8 rival the Roosevelt Mustangs at Santiago High School. The Sharks came into the game with a league best 10-3 league record, and a win against the Mustangs would make the Sharks Big 8 league champions. The Sharks also looked to continue the trend of beating Roosevelt, winning the previous two matchups during the 2016 year. The Sharks were able to finish the season sweep against the Mustangs winning 6-3 and becoming league champs.

#23 Manny Perez (12) showed early and often that he would control the tempo of the game starting strong with a 3 and out in the first. Two defensive errors on the side of the Mustangs allowed the Sharks to take an early lead of 1-0. The trend continued in the second and third inning with two shutout innings including two Roosevelt players getting caught stealing by #10 Jacob Shanks (10). The Sharks offense was also able to increases their lead with one run in the third.
In the fourth inning the Mustangs were able to tie the game at 2-2 after a critical error from the Sharks, and a 3 and out in the bottom half of the inning for the Sharks offense. In the fifth however the Sharks were able to answer back with two runs of their own off of four walks and a hit from #11 R. Williams (11), and a shutout inning for #23 Manny Perez.
The top of the sixth inning consisted of two groundouts and a pop out from the Mustangs. The Sharks capped off the sixth with two more runs off of two hits from #1 Brice Turang (10) and #23 Manny Perez, making the 6-2 in favor of the Sharks. #23 was able to complete his great game only allowing one more run in the seventh, and only allowing a total of 6 hits, 3 walks, and 5 of the 7 innings being shutout innings.

The Sharks now look toward capping off the season with momentum in their final regular season game against league rival Norco at home on May 13, 2016. If the Sharks win against Norco they will finish 12-3 in league play, which they have not done since 2013.