Why are Children the Most Important in the Family?

Madison Schneider, Staff Writer

On January 1st, 2017 John Rosemond published an article titled “Your Kids Should Not Be the Most Important in the Family”. This created quite the buzz on the internet. People’s conflicting ideas surfaced and this is now a very common topic to discuss.

This year, a survey was conducted to find out who the most important person in the family was. 1,175 people participated in this survey and 400 voted for children. That is 34%. The runner-up was partner/spouse at 284 votes.

So why are children the center of the households? This can all go back to simple logic. The dependent group depends on the independent group. Not the other way around. A teacher doesn’t let her students run the classroom and soldiers don’t command the general. Rosemond wrote in his article “‘Our child is the most important person in the family’ is the first step toward raising a child who feels entitled. You don’t want that. Unbeknownst to your child, he doesn’t need that. And neither does America.”

Like Rosemond suggests, we don’t need a country filled with disrespectful, arrogant citizens. Last week, I saw a child, who was about six, jumping on a booth at a restaurant. His parents were just casually talking like nothing was going on. They did not care that their child will always think that he can just do whatever he wants because no one will tell him differently.

Ann Landers said, “It is not what you have done for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings”.