Santiago´s Annual Blood Drive

We are experiencing a national blood shortage, and Santiago Unity has teamed up with the American Red Cross organization to rescue the lives of many.

The national blood supply has been reduced by 25% as of late, and Unity needs your help. Blood donations are essential for surgeries, cancer treatments, chronic illnesses, and traumatic injuries. Whether a patient receives whole blood, red cells, platelets, or plasma, this lifesaving care starts with one person making a generous donation.

“There is a blood shortage, so that any donation can save a life. What’s important is donating blood to those in need,” Emi Resillas, a Unity member, elaborates on why students at Santiago should jump at the chance to participate in this life-changing drive, “I know there was a teacher at this school, and through the Red Cross he was able to receive blood, and it saved his life.”

Here are some more words from the members of the Santiago High Schools Unity team:

“It is honestly a great cause because of the blood shortage, and having the blood drive at school makes it very easily accessible for students, so I’d encourage participating.” – Rylie Sevilla

“Donating blood doesn’t just save one life but also affects many others, such as their loved ones.” -Amber Nemat

There are many reasons why one should participate in this blood drive, from saving up to three lives with one blood donation to having a lasting impact on the family and friends of these recipients. We’ve all dreamt of being a hero, and the chance to be one is right behind the doors of your very own school– save a life today! 

Adam Nemat took part in this cause by donating blood last year; he was a Power Red Donor, a donation with double the impact because it collects a concentrated donation of red cells that help twice as many patients. The basic requirements for a Power Red donation are to be a male of 17+ years old, at least 5’1 ¨ tall, and at least 130 lbs. Power Red donations must also only be made three times a year, with 112 days in between.

¨It felt amazing to give back, and with Power Red, I saved about six lives in just one donation. I would say that it is an experience to remember, and now whenever we have a blood drive, I want to participate,¨ Adam Nemat shares his experiences with donating blood; he is a true hero.

Their first blood drive took place on September 19th, but no need to worry because there will be two more this school year on November 17th and April 11th. There are still more chances to change lives, but what are the requirements?

For all students, you must be 16 years of age or older, and the legibility requirements vary between men and women. For females, here are the basic requirements:

For males, here are the basic requirements:

Remember that male students 17 or older may also choose the Power Red process. If you are considering donating, check the requirements beforehand to avoid being turned away at your appointment.

Mark your calendars and schedule an appointment to support a life-altering cause that will impact not only other people’s lives but your own. Visit the American Red Cross website for further information, or contact Santiago High School’s Unity team (Instagram: @shsunity) if you have any questions. Change the world one donation at a time!