2016 NFL Draft

And with the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams select…yup. Just what we all expected as soon as Les Snead acquired the first overall pick from the Tennessee Titans. The nation witnessed two QB’s go first and second overall (Goff and Wentz) for the second consecutive year. The Chargers, who were expected to take an offensive lineman, beefed up their pass rush by drafting Joey Bosa. San Diego filled a need, as they were within the bottom 5 in sacks the last two seasons.

Crop-top mania. The Cowboys were contemplative with their fourth overall pick. It was simple, yet complex: Jalen Ramsey or Ezekiel Elliot; draft a franchise back or create a no-fly zone. Dallas ended up drafting Elliot, who is one already being hyped as a top 3 running back being drafted within recent generations, along with Adrian Peterson and Todd Gurley, who possesses everything a three-down back could have. There has been an absence of running backs in the first round in recent years, very less the top 5. However, Elliot is the complete package: vision, breakaway speed, pass-catcher, and a great blocker, which is rare. Dallas went from Romo-Dez-Murray to a more preliminary explosive Romo-Dez-Elliot triplet.

The Jacksonville Jaguars filled another need with their fifth overall pick. Explosive on offense, with Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Thomas, Ivory, Lee, and Yeldon, it was the defense that would give up more points and let them down. Jacksonville has since made free agent acquisitions of Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson, and drafted the best player of this year’s class, Jalen Ramsey. Don’t be surprised if the Jaguars end up in the playoffs, or even give the Texans and Colts some problems for the division crown.
The New York Giants made the most questionable pick in the top 10 by drafting Eli Apple. Eli, whom on tape seemed to struggle at times, and was not the best available. Vernon Hargreaves is the best cover corner, and the Giants elected to overlook him. Now, Hargreaves has the job of covering the No. 1 wideouts within the NFC South, such as Julio Jones, Brandin Cooks, and Kelvin Benjamin.

You get a receiver, you get a receiver, you get a receiver, and you get a receiver. After being drafted fifteen overall (Corey Coleman), Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, and Laquon Treadwell went back-to-back-to-back. The Texans finally lifted some responsibility off star receiver DeAndre Hopkins, with Fuller being able to be a key deep threat, and with time a clear No. 2 WR. Doctson is dubbed to be the best receiver of the class, having a 6’4” frame with a unique ability to win 50-50 balls similar to A.J. Green. Treadwell could be a steal for the Vikings. Already having Stefon Diggs on the roster, Treadwell could become one of the NFL’s best, already being compared to Dez Bryant with the similar skill of going up strong and aggressively winning jump balls. Although he was downplayed by his lack of eye-opening speed, Treadwell can excel like Hopkins with precise route running.

Peyton Manning? Brock who? The Denver Broncos seemed as if they’re focused on the future and not what has transpired throughout the offseason. Peyton retired, Brock signed elsewhere due to money, and the Broncos retaliated by making sure they got their guy. After trading up five spots, Denver drafted Paxton Lynch. Lynch, who has size similar to Osweiler, is more athletic and should be the starter week 1 after being behind or sharing snaps with Mark Sanchez throughout training camp.

Albeit several stars have found have found new homes, we await to see where the likes of Myles Jack, A’Shawn Robinson, Reggie Ragland, Christian Hackeberg, Noah Spence, and Mackensie Alexander end up on Day 2…or possibly even Saturday at worst.