Phantom of the Opera: Choir Concert

Brynn Rose Schwichtenberg, News Editor

Last Wednesday on April 27th at 7 pm Santiago High School Choral Program presented traditional choral music and excerpts from the musical “The Phantom of the Opera”. The choir concert went great but very fast, especially for the seniors who are in the treble ensemble choir and Madrigals who performed in Phantom of the Opera.

“According to the Article, the Back story of the Phantom of the Opera is a musical with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Charles Hart it is based on the 1910 eponymous French novel by Gaston Leroux. The Phantom of the Opera tells the story of a masked figure who lurks beneath the Catacombs of the Paris Opera House, exercising a reign of terror over all who inhabit it he falls madly in love with an innocent young soprano, Christine, and devotes himself to creating a new star by nurturing her extraordinary talents by employing all of the devious methods at his command”.

As the year comes to an end it is such a fortunate thing that the spring concert was a success.  It was very fun and everyone a part of the choir loved putting on this performance. Many people’s favorite part was having fun in their costumes; the masquerade masks and the fans. The spring concert is our last concert of the year and unfortunately due to COVID, last year’s performance of West Side Story did not get to occur.

Phantom of the Opera was the final goodbye for the seniors in treble ensemble and madrigals. We are very sad to be leaving Mrs. Garrett and the Santiago Choir Program because we have made many friends and a family for ourselves in the choir program. We all have shared countless laughs and goofed around all the time but we always came together at the end of our concerts and competitions.

To all of the incoming freshmen and sophomores at Santiago sign up for auditions for the choir program. You will not regret joining and you will make new friends. You gain a great choir director who believes in you. Joining the choir was the best decision I ever made and helped me gain new confidence. You will have a lot of fun if you make treble ensembles or madrigals because every year you will go on tours to San Francisco or New Orleans or somewhere fun. The choir program is hurting and is in need of students. You won’t regret your decision! Just step out of your comfort zone and try something new.

Here are some pictures from the concert! Please consider joining this amazing program, it could turn out to be something that you will love endlessly.